Are You Poisoning Your Home?

In our fast paced world, so many of us rarely take the time to consider that some of the products we have come to know and trust could actually be making us very sick. While most experts would agree that depression, weight gain, fatigue and disease can all be directly attributed to malfunctioning in the body, they are often quite vague when queried as to whether environmental toxicity is part of the problem.
And yet, how can it not be?
According to scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), total toxic residues in our daily diet exceed 500 percent of the recommended daily maximum (even if each individual food is within the government-approved safe limits) and toxic chemicals can be found in trace amounts in the tissues of virtually everyone in America. There are more than one hundred thousand chemicals currently in commercial use and at least 25 percent which are known to be hazardous.
You probably use many of the chemical-laden products already, believing they are safe.
Toxins in Everyday Products
Here is just a sampling of some of the everyday toxins that may be poisoning you and your home:
  • Styrofoam products:
Disposable Styrofoam contains styrene. Health effects from exposure to styrene may involve the central nervous system and include complaints of headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, malaise, difficulty in concentrating, and a feeling of intoxication. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies styrene as a potential human carcinogen. It is also known as vinylbenzene, ethenylbenzene, cinnamene, or phenylethylene.

  • Mothballs and deodorizers:
1,4-dichlorobenzene. According to the EPA, acute (short-term) exposure to 1,4-dichlorobenzene, via inhalation in humans, results in irritation of the skin, throat, and eyes. Chronic (long-term) 1,4-dichlorobenzene inhalation exposure in humans results in effects on theliver, skin, and central nervous system. The EPA has classified 1,4-dichlorobenzene as a Group C, possible human carcinogen.

  • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:
This scary synthetic detergent can be found in soaps, shampoos and toothpaste-as well as floor cleaners. Sodium lauryl sulfate is a mixture of sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, and sodium. Also abbreviated to "SLS", sodium lauryl sulfate is known to emit toxic fumes in the presence of excessive heat. When mixed into diluted concentrations, however, these chemicals can be bottled and sold as your favorite brand name skin care product or cologne. Its role in these products is usually that of a foaming or a dispersal agent. Toothpaste or bubble baths, for example, that foam when used.

A report published in the Journal of The American College of Toxicology in 1983 showed that concentrations as low as 0.5% could cause irritation and concentrations of 10-30% caused skin corrosion and severe irritation. National Institutes of Health "Household Products Directory" of chemical ingredients lists over 80 products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Some soaps have concentrations of up to 30%!

Making the Change

Keep in mind that while a product may be promoted as 'safe' or 'hypoallergenic', it still may be poisoning your environment. There are much safer cleaning, personal care, and household products available and a wellness consultant versed in holistic healing can help you make the necessary changes for better health.
Lea Weber
Lea Weber is a business coach, consultant and active networker who trains participants around the world via The Global Hugs Network. For further information, please visit

No comments:

Post a Comment